Monday, August 31, 2009

A visit to the fire station

We went with our play group to tour a fire station this morning.  Jackson wants to be a fireman when he grows up and I thought it would be fun for him to see what a fireman does.   
We got to the station and took a tour around the inside and got to see where they ate and slept. However, that part was boring to our future fireman.  He wanted to see the trucks.  
Finally, we made it outside and they let the kids crawl through the trucks and explore all the parts on the outside.  Charlie and Hadley came along for the ride, but didn't quite get in to it as much as Jackson did.  
He got to sit in the front and back seats, he thought it was cool that the person in the back got to go backwards.  
Then we climbed on the back for a picture opportunity. By the way, I should mention that I forgot to take the camera so I had to take these with my phone, I was so bummed, I could have had some really good pictures.  
He even got to practice driving the fire truck.  He couldn't believe how big the steering wheel was.  
The firemen were so nice, they answered all of our questions, and let the kids climb all over the trucks.  They handed out stickers and pencils, which, the kids loved.   
They even put the ladder up as high as it would go and one of them climbed the 110 feet all the way to the top, it made me queasy just looking at him up so high.  Jackson wanted nothing to do with the ladder, I kept asking him if he wanted to climb it and he finally yelled at me "No mom!"  And he slowly inched away from it as soon as it started going up.  He was in awe though, when he saw the fireman climb all the way to the top.  
I think at this point he was ready for me to stop taking pictures!  He had a blast and learned a lot about what a fireman does.  

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow that ladder was freaking tall! That would make me sick to my stomach too. Our poor kids having to endure all the pictures when all they want to do is just have fun. Looks like a fun day though. Way to go, Fireman Jack!

Lindsey said...

So if he becomes a fireman, which month in the calendar would he want?

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Mairs family said...

Wow, that looks like a great idea for a play date! Looks like Jack enjoyed every minute!