Sunday, June 06, 2010

What we've been up to.........

In May, my brother Sam, graduated from Yale. So, the whole family (MINUS KIDS!!!!) met up in New Haven to help celebrate THREE days of graduation mayhem! Matt's parents (the Saints!) came out and took care of the boys for us while we enjoyed a three day vacation. It was BUSY and CRAZY and we were EXHAUSTED at the end of every day, but we had such a good time!
So this was about 2 hours after we landed in Hartford. We drove about an hour to our hotel, showered and got ready to go to a couple parties. (Man, do Yalies know how to partay! We went from one party to the next the whole time!)
Heather, Shannon, Tiffer, and Roberino, at the little cocktail lounge. We got there fairly early and as the place filled up we had taken the ONLY area to really sit and be comfortable. The waitress probably hated us cause all we ordered were a few little things and water all night! Not too exciting.
Sam the graduate, Mom and Dad, dad looks so happy!
This is at the commencement speech. Sam is the one looking at his phone with the glasses on, sitting next to his best friend Ariel.
Matt and I at commencement. It was hot in that room!
That night, after a full day of activities, we went to Sam's singing group, The Whiffenpoofs, final concert at Yale. Sam's "duty" in the group is to dress up in funny costumes during concerts on home turf. He's been everything from Superman, to a Chinese Dragon (and lets not forget the time he just came out in a towel, they do those kinds of things at Yale. Luckily, I was not present at that concert!)
After the concert we headed to a ball, (if you will). By that time our feet were sore and throbbing from wearing high heels all day, but we made the most of it!
Ah, the sistas!! Can I just say that all of us spent weeks trying to find clothes and shoes (basically a whole new wardrobe!) that were worthy to walk on Yales hallowed ground! And whether Sam thought so or not, I think we all looked pretty good!

Awwww, all the siblings at the "ball".
Sam's normal face, the "I am so annoyed with my family" face! My mom had a good time dancing like a maniac in circles around him! He tried to run and get away from her but she would just follow him wherever he went. It was too funny.
All of us and Sam's surrogate sister, Stephanie from across the street. Her family was Sam's second family growing up so they made the trip out there as well. It was fun to be with them too.
This is the third day, at the FIRST part of the graduation ceremony! We had to listen to a lot of people talk. Really all I remember was, "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!" Oh and a big deal was made about how truly wonderful all those students were at Yale, we heard it about 1,000 times! (Oh and I don't have pics but the day before we had listened to Bill Clinton speak. Again, all I heard was a lot of "blah, blah, blah!")
After the first part of the ceremony we headed over to the FINAL part of graduation where they got to walk up and collect their diplomas. Here is little Sammy Boy.......(sniffle sniffle)
Walking back to his chair.
Lunch after the ceremony. Yale pulled out all the stops with Tofu ravioli (which was a favorite of my dads) and strawberry shortcake among other things.
The graduate, without his cap and gown.
The family, I am slouching and have my eyes closed! Nice! Oh and apparently Heather and I did a switch-a-roo with our hubbys! We like to change it up a bit I guess!
Better
And doing what we love to do...embarrass the crud out of baby brother!
Just standing around outside
The funny part of our picture taking.
Matt and I being boring, I was getting so bored with this pose so we tried to do a funny pose and this is what we got
Us discussing what kind of funny pose we should do.....
So we took some cues from Heather and Shannon
And came up with this. Not much different than the first I am afraid. I obviously couldn't stop laughing at Matt's funny face.
My dad is pleading with his eyes "Is this all over yet? Can we go home now PLEEEEAAAASEEE???"
Ah, the dinner that will go down in history! Lets just say we kept this restaurant in business that night and did not fail to give them a show! (By the way, can you see how exhausted we look!) Anyway, this was our last "event" and after dinner Matt and I had to say our good byes and drive to Hartford where we stayed since our flight was so early the next day. We had such a good time being with the family. We are proud of little Sammy and look forward to one more year of Yale (HA! Don't ask!)

Now....the boys! (The people most of you want to see). With temperatures already hitting 100 degrees and over we have to find ways to cool off! So, we hit the splash pad with our besties!
Taking a break for a snack
Jackson and Hunter
Hunter, Jackson and Tyler, (He is turned around)
Charlie having fun on the COVERED playground! Made such a difference heat wise.
His favorite spot, he sat at the bottom of the slide and just watched the kids go by.
He went down the slide a couple times too.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And finally, don't mind the mess, but the boys had to try on my shoes. One of Charlie's favorite things to do. I have so many more pics to post so come back soon!!

2 comments:

The Mairs family said...

cute pics! Our family is so funny :)
The kids are ceeeuuute!

Unknown said...

Wow. I appreciate the closeup pictures of me on this post. Ericka really found a way to capture my joy in those few point-blank, up the nose type of camera shots. Thanks babe.