Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Charlie VS. Sleep

There is a battle going on in our home and I have to say, the good guy is losing!!  The battle is between Charlie and SLEEP! As a mom, it is interesting to note the differences between child #1 and child #2.  Child #1 (who, in this case, is Jackson) was such a melancholy, content child!  He would lay on the floor or in his bouncy chair for hours watching me cook, do laundry, or clean.  He would coo and giggle and entertain himself.  And if you put him in the swing, look out, he was asleep in 2 minutes and would sleep for hours, then wake up, eat, play, and sleep all night!  So naturally, with such a good #1 there was never any question about whether or not there would be a #2. And so, we come to Charlie (#2).  Now, this is not to say that Charlie is not a good baby, because he is, as long as he has proper attention.  Most of the time that attention has to come from mom, and a good part of the time it can come from Jackson (which is why it is helpful to have a #1.  Although "helpful" isn't a word I would use ALL the time with big brother, but he tries and that is what is important!)  Matt is quite offended that he really can't soothe him at all, and HELLO, keep him AWAY from Grampa (that's Bob!)!  Anyway, you put Charlie on the floor and watch out, he'll be screaming at cha, you put him in his bouncy chair, you can bet he'll throw a fit, and as soon as he is in that swing he is squirming his way down so that his feet hang over the edge and his whole life flashes before your eyes as you picture him flying out and landing on his head...but what is worse than all of that, the thing that prompted this post, is that he does not sleep at night. We have tried EVERYTHING to get this kid to sleep.  I fill his belly right before going to bed, we keep him up till nine so that I can at least get a good three hours in before he wakes up screaming! And we have let him scream it out (which is a horrible horrible thing for a mother and father to do to a five month old. Yeah, lets just say that one didn't happen too often after the guilt that came while listening to him through the monitor just cry and cry....oh my heart was broken) So, I guess I have just come to accept the fact that he will be up every three hours for the rest of his life!  He doesn't have to eat at those times, mind you, he just wakes up, screams (unless you are quick with a binky) and goes back to sleep.  But then of course, I am awake for two hours until my eyelids start to feel heavy and are on their way to closing for good, and thats when it starts all over!  I can't tell you what Jackson thinks of having a zombie for a mom..... but as for me, I can honestly say that there just may be reservations about having #3!!  

8 comments:

Bob said...

ok... i may scare him a little, but he will drift off peacefully to my soothing guitar playing...

Anonymous said...

Ericka, I feel you pain! Hudson and Charlie sound like twins! Let me know if you find something that works:)

The Mairs family said...

Charlie is your party boy! Brooklan did the same thing until 9 months! She wouldn't go to bed until midnight and then up every 2 hours. While Koen slept "like a baby" all night! Just accept the fact that yes he will eventually sleep but that #2's are the socialites! You should know that my #2 sister. Happy partying!

The Mairs family said...

um, and check out that baby gut! What a rolly polly. Wish I could squeeze those rolls!

Heather said...

I feel your pain. Rowan is almost 6 months and is not sleeping through the night. He did once and I just about died- an uninterrupted slumber was pure heaven. I don't know what to do either - maybe I should try the "cry it out" technique - I am just too quick to get out of bed when I hear him - cry babies break my heart too. So no worries, there is another zombie in Chandler - one day our REM sleep will not be disturbed.... I hope.

Jessica said...

Oh, I laughed out loud at your post! So glad to hear that I am not alone! My little guy does pretty good at night (other than last night!!) but is horrible at taking naps unless he is being held that is. My house and my sanity will never be the same- jk!!

Rachel said...

Well, that just makes me sad inside for you! We have started to let Jonathan cry if he wakes up in the night, but he cries for maybe 15 or 20 minutes then goes back to sleep. Have you tried putting Charlie to bed early (like at 6:00 or 7:00) to see if that makes a difference? Both of my kids have been big into the early night sleeping. Maybe we've talked about this before, so sorry if you're like, "Rachel, I've tried that!!!" Poor Ericka. You're a good mom to be functioning at all on so little sleep!!

On a happier note, I just love that boy's belly!!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

It sounds like how it was for us with Maria and Josephine. We didn't realize how good we had it with Maria until Josephine came to terrorize the house! :) Maria slept like an angel (through the night at 8 weeks) and Josephine had HORRIBLE sleeping problems until she was almost a year old (we even had to buy a book to "teach" her how to sleep through the night). Maria ate everything, Josephine was a picky eater from the start. And yeah, Josephine wanted nothing to do with anyone but me for a LONG time! It just goes to show that they truly are all different!